In 2021, I was less than a year into self managing my investments. I had not yet started managing my Roth IRA, and only had my Taxable account. I went crazy diversifying in 2020, and this was my attempt to reign in the over-diversification and focus on buying solid companies. Looking back, that didn't happen in 2021.
I was listening to a lot of podcasts, following highly followed Twitter accounts and doing a lot of reading. I fell victim to blindly following "the experts". I am not proud of my 2021 buys. This was before I started diligently journaling, so I do not have actual record of my thought process, just going off of memory.
These positions were initiated on 1/11/21 and results are as of Market Close 1/20/23.
Without further ado, my 2021 Birthday Buy Health Check:
- Average Cost Basis: $22.22
- Number of Buys: 2 buys, 2 shares total
- Opinion: This was definitely a buy the hype stock. t It felt like everybody on Twitter at the time was talking about how great $T was, especially at the price. I bought. Luckily, I did not "load the truck" and my generally cautious nature and buying in small quantities helped me out. I only added one more time - in March of '21. Through the spin off of $WBD and other difficulties, I have continued to hold. $T has actually climbed to be tied for the top holding on my Scorecard at a 4.5/6, which is a testament to my mentality to wait on holdings. It is time for me to do some due-diligence to see if it is worth continuing to add. $T only makes up 0.23% of my portfolio, and I will sell the position if I do not add to it when it hits the 3 year mark in 2024.
- Average Cost Basis: $96.46
- Number of Buys: 1 buy, 1 share total
- Opinion: I think I read something about Hasbro earnings the week I was to make my buys. I wanted something in Consumer Discretionary and this was a nostalgia play. Not smart to make decisions off of emotion. Much like with $T, my Scorecard has kept me in check and $HAS only makes up 0.37% of my portfolio. The Scorecard score is low at 2.5/6, so I do not see myself adding to this and most likely will be selling in 2024.
- Average Cost Basis: $95.29
- Number of Buys: 1 buy, 1 share total.
- Opinion: Buy products and companies that you use and interact with, they said. It will be fun, they said. Not so fast, my friend! JUST BECAUSE YOU USE AND ENJOY A PRODUCT/COMPANY/SERVICE DOES NOT MEAN IT IS A GOOD INVESTMENT. $CHWY is one of my worst investments with only $COIN providing a larger loss. $CHWY is the second lowest rated holding on my Scorecard with a lousy 1.5/6 ranking. Much like the others, only 0.24% of my portfolio and I will most likely be selling in 2024.
Not good picks, at all. $CHWY
does not fit my philosophy, at all. $T
might end up being a decent decision, but there are other companies I will be buying before it. Not much else to say, but these three companies definitely put a sour taste in my mouth.