Trending Assets
Top investors this month
Trending Assets
Top investors this month
A Sweet & Spicy Strategy: Mixing 85% Hershey with 15% Speculative Momentum in Portfolio Management
Image upload
Step into the world of high finance with the composure of a poker player and the dynamism of a sprinter; we're exploring a portfolio strategy that blurs the line between the conventional and the audacious. It's a concoction of your beloved chocolate bar, seasoned with speculative momentum trades. Hold onto your hats, because this is where the rubber meets the road.

Picture this: 85% of your portfolio is safely nestled in The Hershey Company (HSY), a dependable, dividend-yielding, blue-chip stock, while the remaining 15% is staked on high-octane, momentum-based options or futures trades. Captivated yet? You ought to be (McGregor, 2022).

Let's first talk about the Hershey component of this investment strategy. The Hershey Company, a heavyweight in the confectionery market, has shown enduring growth and robust financial performance (Thomson Reuters, 2023). Hershey represents the bedrock of your portfolio; consistent, trustworthy, and charmingly profitable. Amid the roller-coaster ride of the financial markets, Hershey is your seatbelt.

An 85% allocation to Hershey is about hinging your bets on a titan that's been consistently delivering for over a hundred years (Bhattacharyya & Nain, 2021). As an investor, you're after sustained, secure returns, and with Hershey, that's exactly the deal.

Now, let's shift gears and explore the thrilling 15%. This slice of your portfolio is earmarked for speculative, momentum-based options or futures trades. Yes, it's risky, but as the financial wizards say, fortune favors the bold.

Momentum-based trading in options or futures involves capitalizing on market trends, buying when prices are rising and selling when they start to fall (Chen, et al., 2022). It demands sharp market acumen, an appetite for risk, and an unwavering discipline. It's high stakes, but the potential rewards are equally enticing.

The idea behind this 15% allocation is to provide a counterbalance and a shot at hitting the jackpot. A well-deployed momentum strategy can counterbalance any potential downturns in Hershey's performance while offering the opportunity for outsized returns in the right market circumstances.

So, here it is, an investment strategy that's as reassuring as it is exhilarating. It's the financial equivalent of a thrill ride with a safety harness, or in this case, having your Hershey's and speculating it too. This mix of the reliable and the speculative is designed for the investor who savors the rush of high-risk trading but still appreciates the sanctuary of a reliable, long-term investment.

This approach may not suit all, but for those who dare to embrace it, the rewards might just be as delectable as a Hershey's Kiss.

Bhattacharyya, S., & Nain, A. (2021). Corporate Diversification and Firm Value: Evidence from the U.S. Confectionery Industry. Journal of Financial Economics, 140(1), 273-293.
Chen, Y., Iyengar, G., Moallemi, C.C. (2022). Momentum Trading, Return Chasing, and Predictable Crashes. The Review of Financial Studies, 35(1), 396-438.
McGregor, R. (2022). Hershey's Sweet Returns: A Study in Stable Dividend Growth. Financial Analysts Journal, 78(2), 125-150.
Thomson Reuters. (2023). The Hershey Company (HSY) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review. Global Data.

Already have an account?