Brands boosted their spending on Walmart Connect in Q4
The data: Walmart Connect
, the retail giant’s ad tech platform, made big strides in Q4
to a new report by Pacvue.
- Ad spend on Walmart’s various sponsored ad formats jumped 31% year-over-year (YoY).
- Return on ad spend rose 83% YoY to $6.06 from $3.32.
- Click-through rates more than doubled to 0.62% from 0.30% a year earlier.
- Cost per click (CPC) fell 25% to 65 cents from 87 cents a year earlier.
Building a sizable revenue stream:
Walmart has been on a pronounced push to build up its fledgling retail media business and distinguish itself from the vast number of retail media networks
competing in a growing market. For example, last year it established a second-price auction model for its ads (under which the highest bidder pays just one cent more than the second-highest bid), a move that helped reduce its average CPC
and improve its return on ad spend.
- It also struck deals with several ad-tech vendors that specialize in areas such as ecommerce ads, ad optimization, and cross-channel advertising.
- The efforts helped Walmart grow its advertising revenues nearly 40% last year, per our forecast.
The big takeaway: Walmart Connect’s strong Q4 reflects several key decisions the retailer made throughout last year, most notably its introduction of the second-price auction model to reassure brands they aren’t bidding against themselves or overpaying for impressions.
No comments yetBe the first to add your insight!